Burning white sage can help clear negative engery that gathers in spaces such as your home or office. Daily life sometimes brings with it negativity, whether you have an argument with a spouse, tension associated with office politics, or other issues such as experiencing the death of a loved one or suffering a bout of illness, depression, anxiety and more.
Burning white sage in the spaces where you live or work can help clear away the negative energy associated with such life events, creating an energy vacuum where you can choose what type of energy you wish to bring to the space.
To use sage to clear negative energy in spaces:
- Close all windows and doors.
- Light a white sage bundle or place some white sage in an abalone shell or non-incendiary dish and light it.
- Allow the flames to burn out or blow them out so the sage smolders and smokes.
- If you are using a sage bundle, you will wave the bundle around objects and spaces to disperse the smoke. If you are burning loose sage in an abalone shell, you can use a feather or similar object to fan the sage around the space. If you're working with a sage bundle, be sure to carry some type of a ceramic or glass dish with you to catch any ashes or sparks that might fall from the burning sage.
- Start at the main entrance to the space. With the sage smoking, wave or fan the smoke in a clockwise direction around the entryway.
- Then, moving around the space clockwise, wave or fan the sage smoke around the perimeter of the space, making sure you circle with smoke clockwise each entrance into the space (doors, windows, drains, fireplaces, etc.). Fan the smoke into corners and closets and behind places where energy may stagnate, such as large pieces of furniture.
- If the sage stops smoldering, stay where you are, relight it, and continue moving and fanning throughout the space.
- When you return to the front door, wave or fan the smoke counterclockwise around it to seal the energy.
- Now, repeat the above process with a burning herb or incense of your choice to bring the type of energy you'd like to experience to replace the negative energy removed by the sage.
- If you like, open the windows and doors to invite fresh air into your space.
Affirmations When Clearing Negativity
While it's not strictly necessary, you can use an affirmation or mantra while smudging to help keep the negativity at bay. Repeat the affirmation, prayer, or mantra aloud or in your head as you move throughout the space. Some simple mantras, affirmations, and prayers you can try include the following:
- I clear away negativity and invite positive energy.
- I release negative energy and open my space to positive.
- This smoke cleanses negativity from _______ and allows me to move forward in a new, positive direction.
When to Use White Sage to Clear Negativity
There are many times you can use the ritual above to help reset the energy:
- After family or marital discord or arguments
- After the death of a loved one or pet
- After someone in the home has been ill or injured
- Anytime you feel down or out of sorts
- When you or someone else in your space has had difficulty with friends or family members
- When you've experienced difficulty at work or school
- When someone you sense has negative energy has spent time in your home or space
- After any upset, such as a natural disaster, bad storm, issue in the community, etc.
- After a break-up
- If you or anyone else in your space has been in a bad mood
- Any time your space just feels "off" or you feel somehow stuck in a cycle of negativity
Use White Sage Smoke on Second-Hand Items or Antiques
If you're someone who loves antiques or likes to shop in second-hand stores or at garage sales, then you're bringing a whole lot of other people's energy into your home. Objects can become infused with the energy of the spaces they've inhabited and the people that have owned them, and when you buy a used item, you have no idea what type of environment they are coming from and how that energy has affected and become embedded in the object. Therefore, it's always best to use something such as white sage smoke to cleanse any old energy from second-hand, vintage, and antique items before you bring them into your personal space.
How to Use Sage to Cleanse Small Pre-Owned Objects
You can burn either a sage bundle or loose sage to cleanse pre-owned objects.
- Bring the object to your front porch, backyard, or another place outside of your home. Don't bring it into your home until you've cleansed it.
- Light the sage bundle or the loose sage.
- Blow out the flames and allow it to smolder. Place the smoldering sage in a non-incendiary pan or dish.
- Hold the object over the sage smoke, turning it so all parts of the object are coated in the smoke. This will only take a minute or two.
- Allow the sage to burn out naturally.
- If the object is fabric, such as an item of clothing, wash it to remove the scent of the sage smoke.
How to Use Sage to Cleanse Large Pre-Owned Object
If the pre-owned object is larger, such as a piece of furniture, then you aren't going to be able to hold it over the smoke. Instead, you'll need to direct the smoke over and around it.
- Use the sage before you bring the object into your house; smudge it in your backyard, on your porch, etc.
- Light the loose sage in a non-incendiary dish or light the sage bundle and hold a small dish under it to catch any ashes or sparks.
- Blow out the flames and allow it to smolder.
- Wave or fan the smoke all over the object. If it has drawers, cushions, etc., be sure you open doors and drawers or remove cushions and fan the sage into the open spaces and all around the cushions. Relight the sage as needed.
- If it's an upholstered piece of furniture such as a couch, you may want to allow it to air out in the fresh air before bringing it into the house to remove the aroma of sage smoke
Second-Hand Objects That Can Benefit From White Sage
Cleanse any item that was owned by someone else before. For example:
- Cleanse the car inside and out after buying a used car.
- Cleanse all items purchased from consignment shops, second-hand stores, antique stores, garage sales, etc.
- Cleanse any second-hand items others give you.
- Cleanse any items you have foraged that come from an unknown source; don't forget things like books and magazines.
Boost Intuition, Spark Dreams, Deepen Meditation, and Support Astral Projection
Many psychics burn white sage before readings because it clears out any unwanted energy, and it helps them focus intuitively. You can use this trick when you are trying to boost your intuition or before you meditate for a deeper meditative session. You can also burn it just before bedtime to spark intuitive dreams or use it when you are working with astral projection.
How to Use White Sage for Meditation, Dreams, Intuition, and Astral Projection
It's easy to use white sage in these applications.
- Before your intuitive session, sleep, or meditation starts, light your loose sage or smudge bundle and place it in a non-incendiary dish on the floor or on a table nearby.
- Blow out the flame and allow it to smolder.
- Use your hands or a fan or feather to fan the smoke over you, aiming it particularly towards your third eye (the spot in the middle of your forehead).
- If you're going to sleep or astrally project, stub out the sage so it doesn't continue to burn as you fall asleep. Otherwise, go about your meditation or intuitive session with the sage still smoldering in a safe spot and allow it to burn out naturally.
Using Prayer or Affirmation for Intuition, Dreams, Astral Projection, and Meditation
You can always use prayer, mantras, or affirmations while burning your sage. In fact, having a mantra can help you stay focused during your meditation. Repeat the affirmation, prayer, or mantra aloud or in your head and when you notice your focus wander, gently return it to your mantra. Some phrases you can use include the following:
- I welcome intuition.
- Take me to what I need to see.
- Tell me what I need to know.
- I am open to the wisdom of the universe.
- I trust the universe guides me to the information I need to serve my greatest good.
Crystals have their own high vibration that, when mixed with the vibration of another object, person, or space, will shift. The vibration of the object the crystal is near will raise, and the vibration of the crystal will lower so the two will meet somewhere in the middle. This is a process called entrainment in which two objects vibrating at different frequencies "lock into phase" by meeting at a middle vibration so they begin to vibrate at the same frequency. Since the goal with crystals is to raise the vibration of people and objects around it, cleansing the crystals with white sage allows the crystal to return to its original, higher vibration so it once again raises the vibration of people or objects nearby.
How to Use White Sage to Cleanse Crystals
To cleanse crystals, use white sage as you would to cleanse other objects.
- If you have a large number of crystals, place them in a dish or bowl and fan the smoke over them, sifting through the crystals to make sure all of them come in contact with the smoke.
- If you have a cabinet filled with crystals, fan the smoke in the cabinet and close the doors to allow the smoke to come in contact with all the crystals there.
- If you wear crystals, hold them over the smoldering smoke for a minute or two.
When to Cleanse Crystals
Crystals should be cleansed at least weekly, and more frequently if they do a lot of work for you.
- Cleanse crystals you wear every two to three days. Cleanse them daily when you are going through a difficult time.
- If you use crystals in energy healing or with different people, cleanse them after each use.
- Cleanse crystals that get a lot of use after each use.
- Cleanse crystals any time their energy feels "flat."
Burn White Sage in Haunted Spaces
If you live or work in a haunted space, then burning sage can help minimize the effects, although it won't necessarily make the haunting go away because all spirits - whether embodied or non-embodied - have free will and can't be forced to leave a space. However, burning sage can help quiet or mute the energy from the haunting for a short period if it is particularly intense. Follow the instructions for clearing negativity to use white sage in this application, realizing you'll probably need to repeat the cleansing weekly or whenever paranormal activity intensifies.
Cleanse Your Personal Aura and Energy
You can also use white sage smoke to cleanse your personal aura and energy. This is especially helpful if you've visited a place with negative energy, recently experienced illness, injury, or upset, or you have visited a places that are haunted and are worried spirits might follow you home. Use white sage smoke any time you feel you need a boost or pick-me up of energy, or whenever you feel you may have negative energy attached to you that you'd like to release.
How to Use White Sage to Cleanse Personal Energy
- Light the sage bundle or loose white sage in a non-incendiary dish.
- Allow the flames to go out and the sage to smolder.
- Place the dish on the floor and sit on the floor next to the dish, making sure you have something underneath the smoldering sage to protect your flooring from the heat.
- Using your hands, scoop the smoke and pull it towards you, pulling it over your head and fanning it all along the front of your body and sides.
- Alternatively, stand with your arms away from your body in a T and allow someone else to fan or wave the smoke all over you, making sure to get your front, sides, and back.